Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The way of God

"I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds. Your ways, God, are Holy. What god is as great as our God? You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples". Psalm 77:13-14

The other day, Julie and her son Tekunda told the story of his birth. Temba and Julie had asked God specifically for a boy. They believed God had blessed them with a boy, even having no proof from an ultrasound. They bought all boy clothes and were preparing their home for the arrival of the son they knew without a doubt God was blessing them with. Apparently, Julie had extremely high blood pressure and was having some complications with her labor. Her usual doctor was out of town and another physician was assisting in her labor. She was not impressed with him at all as he was not taking the complications seriously. Tekunda was born. He was not able to cry. During the labor and delivery, he had not received enough oxygen to his brain. He was limp and lifeless. The doctors informed Temba and Julie that their son would either die or remain severely disabled all his life. They refused to except the doctor's report as they knew this blessing, this son was from God and Satan was trying to steal him away. They gathered and prayed that God would restore their son. He did. Fully. The doctors were amazed and speechless as the life before them was a miracle. Tekunda is now an adult. He is full of the life and love of God and has been given an amazing musical talent which he is using to serve God. Satan knew this boy had a calling on his life, but God knew too, and would not let the enemy win.

As I sit here, I struggle to even find words; to find words that capture the incredible reverence I have for my mighty God. There comes a time, when all that can be done is literally to bow, face down before God. The only words that come to mind seem so small. Thank you, God.

The last few days have been mind-numbing to say the least. So much has happened. Scenes of broken people flash through my mind and stories retell of both sadness and utter joy.

We went back to the AIDs nursing home yesterday. We met up with a local HIV/AIDS counselor, Gertrude. Jason spent time in the male ward. Gertrude and I spent time in the female ward. Six female patients were there. We visited each one. All but two were Christians. We were able to minister and pray with all of them. We got to know their stories and a little of their life. Each of them were 40 years old or younger with children left at home. Their faces demonstrated a shame of their disease and their eyes were looking for any glimpse of hope. Gertrude and I talked about God's power, His love and His compassion. The disease that tortured them was not from God and it broke His heart. We read scriptures with them that talked of God's heart of compassion and that no matter what they face, God is still with them and will not leave them. Their life is not over. Because they believe in Jesus Christ and have accepted Him as their Savior, the very Spirit of God lives in them. Because they have an eternal spirit, when they die, they will live on. We reminded them that they have been washed clean by the blood of Jesus and can never be snatched from His hand. They are safe in Him. One woman in particular said she really felt peace from that and that her heart didn't "ache anymore". Her eyes smiled by the time we left.

Deep down though, I really struggled yesterday, seeing such suffering and wanting God to fix it all and make it better. There were no meds available to truly help with the intense pain and diarrhea that afflicted nearly each one of these women. There were flies and ants crawling on all of them. One woman died while we were there; another soul gone as a result of this tragic disease. I felt absolutely desperate. I felt discouraged. Who was I to talk about peace when I have never walked in their shoes or felt the agony that they are enduring. I began to really question God and I was almost angry at Him. Frustrated because I know he came to redeem us. Frustrated because I know with one word, healing can happen. Frustrated because maybe I was doing something wrong. And, mad at Satan because he seemed bigger than usual to me. Why didn't I see any notable change when I left? It killed me.

I prayed a lot last night. God really spoke to my heart and reminded me that I am not in charge of life or death. My faith cannot save the sick. I don't know what was blocking deliverance yesterday. I really don't. But, God reminded me that deliverance comes in different forms. Sometimes deliverance is death. God says we are foreigners on earth and this place is not our home. When a believer dies, what better place to be than in the very physical presence of Christ. I think this was my only solace yesterday.

But today, I was awoken to a miracle that had been in front of me all along, and Jason and I saw the mighty, healing hand of God change a life. Gertrude, the HIV/AIDs counselor is actually HIV positive herself. She told us her story yesterday and told us how her faith in God has never been shaken, nor has she ever shed a tear about this disease that travels through her blood. She is fit and strong. She is living life abundantly full and credits all that to God. She counsels others because she believes God has called her to this work because of her own experience with HIV. She has incredible faith and an incredible heart. She is 40 years old and is believing God that He will let her live to be 65. I believe God will. She has asked God to extend her life, only so that she can go on serving God and telling others about Him and counseling people about how to prevent the contraction of this disease. She is a miracle in action.

We followed Gertrude today at a local hospital. We listened in on her counseling sessions. We witnessed a woman receiving the results of her HIV test. Positive. Her world had changed. She had a small, sick girl with her who looked as if she had mumps. This little girl most likely is HIV positive as well. Her story is that of so many.

When Gertrude was finished, we all went up to the female ward to visit some patients. We were both pretty exhausted, especially Jason. I believe the physical exhaustion we felt was not physical and Satan was not going to win. He'd had his day yesterday and today was God's day. Once we walked in the ward, strength just welled up inside both of us, and we could both sense that something about today was going to be different. We visited the first patient, an elderly woman (uncommon in these parts as the average lifespan for a woman is 37), and she was delightful. She was in after suffering a diabetic coma and was well on her way to being released. She asked us to pray with her. We did and we were actually encouraged by her joy and her faith. We then visited another patient who was waiting for her ride home. It was hard to understand her, as she didn't speak English well, but we were able to communicate some. She was so small and frail and had eyes that were sad. I suspect she had AIDs and was suffering complications as a result. She was hungry and was waiting for her family to bring her food as the hospitals here do not supply food to the patients. There simply isn't money. We thankfully had an apple in our bag for her. I felt so silly that it was the only thing we had to offer her. She accepted with a huge smile and I could see that what I thought was a small, silly gift, meant the world to her. Next to her, was a young woman who was writhing in pain and crying. The doctors who had once surrounded her bed, had gone to lunch. She was left there in pain with no intervention. As Jason and I turned to her, my heart just ached for her suffering. God was speaking to my spirit and Jason's; we weren't to go hunt down a physician, we were to pray. I began speaking to her and questioning her about her pain. She had severe head and neck pain. Her eyes were very sensitive to light. I wonder if she had meningitis as that is very, very common here among the AIDS population. She cried out that her name was Martha and asked if we were from a church. She begged that we pray with her and ask God for help. Jason and I both felt the spirit of God come on us. I don't know how long we prayed or what we said, but I remember Mark 16:17 "...they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." As we were praying and as I was holding her head, I felt torment leave her body and peace just wash over her. Her tears were gone, her pain was gone and she said, " I am free". She was so full of peace. She was smiling. God had done a miracle right before our eyes and delivered from torment, His very precious child. "So, if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed". John 8:36. God set this woman free and we were blessed to be a part of that!! I still can hardly believe it, yet why should it surprise me? Our God can do extraordinary things and miracles should be a part of our daily life. Nothing is impossible with God! I think it is so difficult for us humans to understand the miracles of God because they cannot be reasoned with the human logic or the human senses. God moves in the spiritual and manifests in the physical. Thank you, God!!!!! What a day!!!


Be encouraged by the God who does miracles! Be encouraged by the power of the Holy Spirit. Be encouraged by what the blood of Jesus accomplished on the cross. Be encouraged that "Everything is possible for one who believes" Mark 9:23.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Ann, this was such an encouraging post, despite the pain that has engulfed the people of Zim! I agree that we need to expect miracles, but I still think we need to be in awe every time God works!

Still praying for you guys! May God show you many more miracles on your journey.