Friday, October 31, 2008

One victory at a time...

Some days welcome encouragement like rain in a time of drought. Jason and I had been going through a time of frustration as it didn’t seem ministry was progressing as quickly as we had hoped. Energy was running low and the little resources we had were shrinking quickly. Not to mention, things just happen very slowly in Zimbabwe.

We have been working for the last 6 weeks to set up a home based care program. Right now, our organization has few funds for this ministry, but we are seeing answers to prayer in that direction and trusting God to provide the lack. We need fuel, basic medical supplies, food and medicines in order to fully meet some basic physical needs of bedridden patients. We are trusting God for those things and believing in His provision.

We found 3 incredible local volunteers who will be running this program after we leave. They all live in the same area and will be visiting patients several times a week. Tuesday, we went to visit one of our patients. Honestly, Jason and I were blown away by this man’s progress in only a week, because truly, we didn’t give him the necessary physical supplies he desperately needed. We offered what we could, which was a donated wheelchair, so that maybe eventually he could attend church.

Last week, this patient could do nothing but lie in bed, and barely sit in a chair. His bed: blankets spread out on a hard cement floor. He had nausea, thrush, back and hip pain. He couldn’t bear weight on either of his feet as he was suffering severe neuropathic pain. He also is legally blind. We managed to transport him to a local clinic, where he received only the little assistance the clinic could offer; which was an antinausea med (that actually causes diarrhea), and some Tylenol.

After taking him home, I did some basic teaching on mouth care, muscle strengthening, and nausea management. We also encouraged the family to boil their water, as they had not been previously doing this. Jason, I, and our three wonderful, almost trained volunteers, did a bible study and prayed with him. We knew God could certainly meet this man’s needs. We knew God could bring healing and strength back to this man. He knew and believed it too. He has a great faith.

When we arrived on Tuesday, our patient was sitting in a chair, smiling and bright. He and his family informed us that he actually had been up walking. He denied any further back, hip and foot pain. His nausea was gone and he was eating fairly well. I call this a miracle. God is beyond amazing. He is able to meet needs when our human strength and resources run out.

I believe for both Jason and I, this was yet again, another reminder, that God does not need supplies to meet needs. His power is limitless and “all things are possible for those who believe.” Mark 9:23.


3 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

I have goosebumps running from my shoulders to my toes!

popsmdj said...

Dear Jason & Ann-Just now got to read your posts-amazed at His help & faithfulness! Keep on in His strength; will be praying for you. Busy with our kids just going to Haiti for a week & getting back & a week's visit from my 2 NY sisters. Glad "Grandpa Herb" is safe. In Him,Bob & Darlene Jer.33:3

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Hatfield,

I do not know you personally. Let me briefly introduce myself. My name is Glenn Vantieghem and I am married to Esther. We both are in our 20-ties.
We work as full-time missionaries for Christ's Hope International and at this moment we are in a training course in the International Office in Namibia.
We will go, if God want so, to the Democratic Republic of Congo in January of 09 to head up the ministry of CHI in this country.
I don't know whether you know Desmond Marshall, the Care and Compassion Coordinator for Christ's Hope in Kenya. He might be of great help and encouragement to you.
I read your blog and I stand awe for what you guys are doing. We often pray for you, here at the prayer meetings in the IO. May God bless you and guide you on your ways! He will greatly reward your sacrifices!

Blessings,
PS Forgive me my spelling. English is not my first language.

Glenn Vantieghem
glennv@christshope.org