Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Peace

I think as Christians/humans, we can really mistake a lack of peace in our hearts for something not being God's will. I think it is a good thing to really evaluate where that lack of peace comes from. Many times, I know for myself, I have related it more to my own fears and emotions. For example, I know God brought us here to Africa. Have I always felt excited and peaceful about it? Absolutely not. In fact, there are a lot of really rough days; days where I could easily get on a plane back home. But, I know that would be following how I feel for the day. Rather, I have to go against my feelings and stick it out because this was a door God opened for us and He made the way for us to walk through.

Doing something God has called you to, more often than not, is a battle and difficult and really hard. Sometimes a calling is simply an open door that God has put before you. He will give you the courage to walk through it despite the human emotions that are often contrary to the call. I think too, there is a difference between the peace of God and human peace. Human peace often rests on circumstances being good and lining up the way we like them. Human peace=a feeling of happiness, which is a state of being in relation to one's circumstances or happenings. Human peace is often merely a happy emotional state, when everything around a person is well. God's peace is a peace deep within the soul. It is a rest in midst of chaos. It isn't dependant on everything being good or happy. Honestly, emotionally, especially today, I don't feel peaceful. My circumstances are extremely frustrating and difficult. So, even though I am not humanly at peace, my soul is at rest and I have God's peace. I know despite my emotions, I am right where God wants me. It is really hard to explain. I hope you can follow me. I truly believe this is an important distinction God has clarified for me.  




No comments: